Thursday, June 19, 2014

Virtual Summer Science Camp Week 2: Bristle Bots


This is a project I would have never thought of on my own, so I am so grateful to have found the Virtual Summer Science Camp on YouTube.

Bristle bots are and easy and frugal way to introduce electronics to your kids.  The kids and I watched several YouTubes on how to make one, and I looked up a few online and on Instructables.

My plan was to stop by the dollar store to get the toothbrushes and then go to Radio Shack to pick up the vibrating motors, but while at the dollar store we spotted electric toothbrushes that had vibrating motors in them.  So we ended up getting those, paying $1 for the toothbrush, motor, and AA battery.  Not bad!

Here is what you need for the Bristle Bots:

  • Vibrating Motor
  • Toothbrush Head (we needed 2 per bot)
  • Double Stick Tape
  • Electrical Tape
  • Wires (we used 12 gauge)
  • Battery


Here is how we put the Bristle Bots together:


You can make tracks for them.  My kids ended up using them to paint with and that was a fun activity.  This is a great introduction to electronics and circuits!  Fun for the littles and the big kids too!





Blessings,
Ann


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a better understanding of how they work and how to make them. I'm going to make these with my robotics club.

    ReplyDelete